Part I Vocabulary and Structures
There are 15 incomplete sentences in this part. For each blank there are four choices, marked A, B C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence, then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1. They are looking for _______ man with _______ long dark hair. He is armed and dangerous.
A. a; a B. the; a C. a; / D. /; the
2. It was unfortunate, but she had no _____ but to act as she did.
A. chance. B. opportunity C. option D. solution
3. The _____ driver thinks that accidents only happen to other people.
A. general B. usual C. common D. average
4. How did they manage to steal the Van Gogh? It was right ____ the security guard’s nose.
A. below B. before C. under D. beside
5. The student ______ continuing his studies when he had to return to his home country unexpectedly.
A. is considering B. was considering C. should consider D. has considered
6. My friends and I enjoy doing many of the same things. In that respect, we have a lot _______.
A. in similar B. in particular C. in common D. in accordance
7. Our planned visit to the United States _______ because we were unable to get the visas.
A. fell over B. fell down C. fell through D. fell on
8. Lest anyone _____ it strange, let me assure you that it is quite true.
A. thought B. should think C. had thought D. thinking
9. When Sally ______ the criminal ______ her house, she screamed at the top of her voice because she didn’t want ______.
A. saw; enter; killed B. saw; enter; to be killed
C. sees; entering; be killed D. sees; enter; killing
10. Tina’s children, _____ all live nearby, organized a big party for her eightieth birthday.
A. who B. that C. which D. as
11. Sometimes it is necessary to be careful _______ the right date to sit for a test.
A. when choosing B. when you will choose
C. when you have chosen D. when you chose
12. Einstein’s theory of relativity seemed hard to believe at the time _______.
A. when he first introduced B. that he first introduced it
C. he first introduced D. which he first introduced it
13. ________ really. I like both public transport and driving.
A. On second thoughts B. I could go either way
C. I will never learn to drive D. But then again
14. _____ I’m getting married!
A. Can you keep a secret? B. Well I never!
C. Many happy returns. D. Congratulations!
15. --- So, do you know where you’d like to go?
--- Actually, I’ve heard that it’s very expensive and it’s cold all the time.
A. I beg your pardon? B. Yeah, but it’s not very good.
C. Do you know any good hotels? D. Do you have any suggestions?
Translate the following sentences into English, using the words given in the brackets. Remember to write the answers on the Answer Sheet.
17. 我情愿你没有对任何人提及此事。(would rather)
18. 采纳新规则的建议是主席提出的。(suggestion, 同位语从句)
Part III Cloze
There are 10 blanks in the passage. For each blank, one or more letters of the word have been given (not exceeding 3 letters). Read the passage below and decide which word best fits each blank, using only one word in each word in each blank. Remember to write the answers on the Answer Sheet.
True relaxation is most certainly not a matter of flopping down in front of the television with a welcome drink. Nor is it about drifting into an exhausted sleep. Useful though these responses to tension and over-tiredness (19) mi_______ be, we should distinguish between them and conscious relaxation in (20) te_____ of quality and effect. Regardless of the level of tiredness, real relaxation is a state of alertness, yet, at the same (21) t______, passive awareness, in which our bodies are (22) a________ rest while our minds are awake.
Moreover, it is as natural for a healthy person to be relaxed when moving as resting. (23) Be_____ relaxed in action means we bring the appropriate energy to everything we do, (24) W______ needs to be rediscovered is conscious relaxation. With this in (25) m______ we must apply ourselves to understanding stress and the nature of its causes, however deep-seated.
1. C 2. C 3. D 4. C 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. B 9. B 10. A
11. A 12. B 13. B 14. A 15. D
16. After only a short exposure to sunlight her face began to turn red.
17. I would rather you didn't mention this matter to anyone else.
18. The suggestion that the new rule be adopted came from the chairman.
19. might 20. terms 21. time 22. at 23. Being 24. so 25. rather